At Perlego, we’re working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 4 years our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access high quality academic books via an online library. The next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A Senior Software Engineer with experience in Python, AWS ,React, JS and Node.js. You'll be joining our Content squad, with a goal focusing on transforming content, boosting it's discoverability and ensuring it's quality to create the best learning experience possible.
How we work together
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common data-driven goal. This role will be part of our content squad **consisting of 7 team members:
A Technical Lead, 2 Engineers, a DevOps Engineer, QA Engineer, Product Owner and a Curation Manager.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- Experience with Python programming and Bash scripting
- An strong understanding of architectural practices including: Microservices, REST, object-oriented & functional programming
- An understanding of Relational Database Design and NOSQL Databases
- Experience working with Cloud computing providers (AWS) and strong Linux familiarity.
- Experience leading a team in an Agile environment with Test Driven Development, CI/CD
- 4+ years of commercial experience as a software engineer
- You work well in ambiguity, the roadmap for this team is much more fluid than others in the company and often requires reactive changes
- You are a strong communicator, this role will involve some external facing communication with our publisher partners
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- The ability to speak other languages (Spanish, French, Italian or German) would be advantageous but not essential
- Degree - preferably in a computing related subject
- Experience in a startup environment
- Have a general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
What you’ll do
You will co-lead a self-organising team in our product ecosystem providing technical leadership within the squad, solutioning and getting hands-on implementing the solutions to help your squad achieve its goal.
You will contribute to the design of distributed AWS cloud systems, Serverless Python or Node.js application back-ends and React front-ends.
With your squad you'll bring these solutions to life, writing high-quality code utilising test-driven development (Pytest /Jest ), continuous integration (AWS), code review (GitHub) and servant leadership practices.
You will help build and maintain processing pipelines in Python to transform content from our suppliers in order to make the content available to our users quickly and reliably.
You will take on scrum master responsibilities within the squad coordinating, planning, advising and facilitating with other squads & engineering management.
You will assist the team in implementing and monitoring engineering standards within the squad.
You will troubleshoot content conversion issues which will require a good understanding of Python, Bash, Node.js and several AWS services (such as Lambda, S3, Step Functions, Fargate)
Communication is key for this role, you will communicate any challenges, solutions and updates to stakeholders in the content team and the wider business.
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing collaboration, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our 4.8 Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
🌈 Benefits include:
Like many, we’ve adapted our flexible work policy off the back of this year. We offer the option for you to choose to work from home or the office. However, we will likely require you to be available to come into the office at least part-time following Covid-19.
There is an annual training budget for everyone's personal development
🌴 Base holiday
30 days base holiday (22 days + 8 bank holidays)
🎅🏼 Christmas break
In addition to your base holiday - the office will be shut for certain days over the Christmas holidays to allow everyone to have a break
Competitive salary and discretionary share options
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
Perlego will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
🌻 Wellbeing subsidy
Subsidy towards your choice of: gym or Vitality health insurance
🎉 Subsidised social activities
Encourage everyone in the team to hang out so we have regular team socials and activities