At Perlego, we’re working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 4 years our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality books. The next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A mid-level Technical Product Owner with excellent communication skills and experience working within an engineering team to deliver high-quality, data-driven and user-centric solutions. You'd be joining our Content Ops squad and collaborate closely with the Content and Product teams and external partners to successfully deliver content to our users.
How we work together
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common goal. This role will be part of our Content Ops squad which will consist of 6-7 team members - a Technical Lead, 3 Engineers, a QA Engineer, a DevOps Engineer and a Product Owner (you!). You'll also belong to our Product Owner chapter and work closely with other POs in the company.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- An insatiable passion for building and delivering high-quality products
- The ability to balance deep technical knowledge, business acumen and user-centric mindset, owning the product development process from start to finish
- A proven track record of delivering data-driven solutions in partnership with engineering teams
- A strong technical background in:
- Python or other object oriented programming
- AWS or other cloud provider
- relational database like SQL
- willingness to acquire additional system and technical knowledge as needed.
- 3+ years of work experience working in a software/product development team
- Deep understanding of product management principles and Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Experience in collaborating closely with internal business stakeholders and managing external partners to achieve company objectives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage, influence, and inspire. Ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders of various backgrounds, culture and technological knowledge
- Great problem-solving skills and an experimental mindset - you make informed decisions based on research, user behaviour insights and data
- High degree of organization and personal accountability: you are a self-starter and you are able to manage multiple tasks effectively
- Energy and a sleeves-rolled-up mentality: think quick, act fast and measure later
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- 2+ years of work experience in a product owner role in a technical setting
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
- Advanced experience with user research and testing
- Advanced experience in data analysis
- Experience in bash scripting, serverless technologies, Python/NodeJS in production environments
- Experience in a startup environment and/or MA (or equivalent) in Business / Entrepreneurship
- Have a general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
What you’ll do
- Develop a deep understanding of our publishing partners, building a long-term relationship and working closely with them to successfully deliver their content to our users. Act as their technical point of contact and manage their requests.
- Uncover and understand user needs in relation to content discovery and translate them into requirements. Asses value, develop use cases, and prioritise initiatives to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value that are aligned with the product strategy. Work closely with the Product and the Content teams to maintain a healthy product backlog.
- Take on responsibility for the product development process and work collaboratively with the squad to discover and deliver solutions. Promote good practices and continuous improvement, facilitating quality and timely delivery. Provide leadership for the squad in a constantly changing environment and foster a collaborative, proactive and positive atmosphere.
- Act as a focal point for internal stakeholders to address any queries in relation to the squad work, the product or delivery. Communicate insights or issues effectively and foster a feedback culture between the squad and the wider company. Align with other teams to deliver on a common goal.
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our 4.8 Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
🌈 Benefits include:
Like many, we’ve adapted our flexible work policy off the back of this year. We offer the option for you to choose to work from home or the office. However, we will likely require you to be available to come into the office at least part-time following Covid-19.
There is an annual training budget for everyone's personal development
🌴 Base holiday
30 days base holiday (22 days + 8 bank holidays)
🎅🏼 Christmas break
In addition to your base holiday - the office will be shut for certain days over the Christmas holidays to allow everyone to have a break
Competitive salary, discretionary share options
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
Perlego will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
🌻 Wellbeing subsidy
Subsidy towards your choice of: gym or Vitality health insurance
🎉 Subsidised social activities
Encourage everyone in the team to hang out so we have regular team socials and activities